MORE PUPPET WORK - January 18th, 2012

Stopmotion Puppet head © 2012 Jeff Lafferty
I had another good day and got some more work done on the puppet. I added some eyebrows this time.

I think I’ve made a minor breakthrough with this!

Hair has been a real sticking point with me and the puppets. I just haven’t been happy with any of my previous attempts at using hair extensions. I tried punching it, gluing it and sewed it into a wig.

All where semi-successful, but it made my puppets look like Barbie dolls. A skinny little doll with a big poof of blonde hair, it just wasn’t the look I was after.

Cotton Fiber
With these eyebrows I tried something different. I found some old cotton rope and took it apart till it was just the cotton fibers.

Puppet Brows, Cotton Fiber glue to Athletic Wrap
I tinted it, and glued it down to some athletic wrap. It worked well and it was fluffy enough that you couldn’t see the glue through the fibers.

That’s huge, since it was one of the big problems with the hair extensions. You could glue them down, but the glue would have a tendency to show through the fibers and look bad.

Now, I’m really interested to see how this stuff will look glued to the puppets scalp.

Unfortunately I might not have enough of it, since the rope was just an old scrap in a junk drawer ... I’ll have to go searching to find more.

Wish me luck!

Stopmotion Puppet head © 2012 Jeff Lafferty
See you all tomorrow.
Jeff
read the previous update ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for information. I will this product with puppet i am working

Albrecht

Sean Tiffany said...

The eyebrows look great! Are they attached in a way that you can still move and animate them? If so, this looks amazing!

BlacknickSculpture said...

Looking good! Interesting approach to solving the addition of hair to your puppet!

Dean said...

Clever stuff. Them's man's eyebrows! Keep it coming, Jeff.

Ps. Your keyboard looks mashed! ;)

Shelley Noble said...

so inventive! Jeff, do you know about matte medium? I use it for everything. Completely invisible when dry even on the finest fibers, dirt, hay, sand, paper, etc.

Mail me your mailing addy and I'll send you a bit of the kind I like so you can test....

Jeff Lafferty said...

Thanks Albrecht!

Thanks sean, they're attached with wax. So yes, they still more.

Thanks Backnick, welcome to the blog!

Thanks Dean, yup I'm sloppy.

Hi Shelley, I do know about matte medium, and that's a great suggestion! Thanks a lot!

Jeff