MORE PUPPET WORK - January 18th, 2012
I had another good day and got some more work done on the puppet. I added some eyebrows this time.
I think I’ve made a minor breakthrough with this!
Hair has been a real sticking point with me and the puppets. I just haven’t been happy with any of my previous attempts at using hair extensions. I tried punching it, gluing it and sewed it into a wig.
All where semi-successful, but it made my puppets look like Barbie dolls. A skinny little doll with a big poof of blonde hair, it just wasn’t the look I was after.
With these eyebrows I tried something different. I found some old cotton rope and took it apart till it was just the cotton fibers.
I tinted it, and glued it down to some athletic wrap. It worked well and it was fluffy enough that you couldn’t see the glue through the fibers.
That’s huge, since it was one of the big problems with the hair extensions. You could glue them down, but the glue would have a tendency to show through the fibers and look bad.
Now, I’m really interested to see how this stuff will look glued to the puppets scalp.
Unfortunately I might not have enough of it, since the rope was just an old scrap in a junk drawer ... I’ll have to go searching to find more.
Wish me luck!
See you all tomorrow.
read the previous update ...